Saturday, July 5, 2008

Philip-Lorca diCorcia at LACMA

This past weekend, the Mrs. and I decided to hit the Farmer's Market for lunch. And while we're up there, why not stop by LACMA. I mentioned in a post a while back that LACMA has a new building with all contemporary art (it's like 3 stories of really great work). So we dropped in there to "check in" on some of our faves, then grabbed a beverage at the museum cafe and wandered down to the park area to catch some Latin Jazz (summer concert series).

Then the Mrs. showed me her latest find. In the Ahmanson building the entire 2nd floor is dedicated to modern artists such as Picasso, Matisse, Pollock, Rothko, Braque, Pissarro, Degas, Magritte and others. This is simply heaven for her (art history major) and is really great inspiration for me as well. Then just by chance, on the way out of the Ahmanson building I happened to see a photography exhibit out of the corner of my eye. Perfect - I love checking out contemporary photography - helps me see the type of stuff I could maybe someday ever dream of coming up with (yeah right...).

Anyway, I peek in and it turns out it's a whole gallery of Philip-Lorca diCorcia - one of the most influential photographers out there. There were works from his most famous collections: Lucky 13, Hustlers, Streetwork, and Heads. And a new collection of 1,000 Polaroids called Thousand was also displayed as well. Very very cool, totally made my day. Well worth checking out if you're in the area. Meantime, checkout LACMA's page about the exhibit. Also - I highly recommend the video listed in the right margin on the LACMA page, which is diCorcia's narrative to the Thousand collection (just a heads up, there's a little bit of adult content).

www.paulsearsphotography.com

Or check out more Paul Sears Photography pages on MySpace, Facebook, or Flickr

4 comments:

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Paul,
Thank you for looking at my blog and for leaving a message. I just got off of your website and enjoyed very much going through your portfolios.
Can I ask a question? How did you find my blog? The reason I ask is that I wouldn't probably have found your work if you wouldn't have left a message. I'll be back again--I was impressed with both your urban and nature portfolios.
Laurie

Kim Hardt Originals said...

Beautiful work Paul. I looked at your flicker. Wow! you are a wonderful photographer!

Someday I would like to get a 35 mm/digital camera. Not sure what to buy though.

Thanks for your post on my blog!

girlgonethreadwild said...

Oh YOU just made my day! Great shots you say... then I come here and bow to you, my I'm always learning to look at life through a tele-photo lense...truly, photographers SEE life in all its detail- a view that most of us miss out on.

Thank you for inspiring!

Have a great vaca you two.
~Monica :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, Thanks for visiting my blog.

I enjoyed reading your post about the exhibit at LACMA. I was in LA a couple of years ago and stopped to visit that museum. They had an amazing art glass exhibit going on at the time. What a lovely museum!

Enjoy the street fair,

Kate