Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nikon D700 - Totally Unbiased Review

I have finally upgraded to a "real" pro level camera body. The Nikon D700.



So, how's it going so far?

Well, I've been on two multi-day shooting trips, and shot a friend's band at a local gig, with the D700 since I got it. And to be perfectly honest, after a couple thousand clicks, I have to say...I just don't know if there are words to express how I feel about this camera.

I mean, I could use the word LOVE, but it would be a ridiculous understatement. Maybe if I wrote LOVE in a giant font it might come close. This camera is fantastic. Beyond fantastic. I've never been happier.

OK, I better leave it at that, just in case the Mrs. reads this. At least for now, the D700 still sleeps on the couch.

When I was shopping, I was considering the D300, which runs about $1500-$2000 for the body. However, once I started looking closer at the D700, the choice became clear. The D700 is a little more, priced at about $2500-$3000. I pulled out the ol' haggling tactics and actually got mine for less, at Samy's Camera here in Culver City, CA.

Yes it's more, but what you get for that increase is well worth the price:

- 12.1 Mgpx FX Full-Frame CMOS sensor (same sensor as the D3)
- EXPEED 14-bit RAW processing (same processor as the D3)
- ISO up to 25,600 (same as the D3)
- 3" 920,000 dot VGA color monitor (same as the D3)
- 51-point AF matrix (same as the D3)
- Active D-Lighting, Sensor Cleaning, 5+fps (same as the D3)

Do I sound like a broken record yet? Intentionally so....this camera is basically 80% (or more) of the D3 for like 50% of the price. And in some areas, it actually outperforms the D3.

Let me break it down this way. Here are a few reasons why I'm head over heels in love:












the gradients of greens and blues are much more like what the eye sees, due to the D700's increased color gamutthe D700 has a great ability to capture a wide range of contrast
the color and clarity are amazingthe D700 has the ability to capture highlights in the foreground while preserving detail in the background
the D700 can capture detail and color, even in low light and backlight situationsthe level of detail and the balance of light-dark is amazing

1 comment:

Asdrubal Cesar Russo said...

Cool!!!
In Brazil we say: Muito Legal !!!!
Great Job!
I would invite you for my blog:

http://acrusso.blogspot.com

See ya